Are you unhappy with your smile and are thinking about treating yourself to orthodontic treatment this holiday season? Jingle all the way to Akavan Orthodontics in Tarzana, CA where Drs. Nooshi Akavan specializes in fixing the following tooth problems:
1. Openbites, underbites, overbites and deep overbites – Dr. Akavan corrects all four bites and encourages treating these problems early on because they can be corrected without surgery a lot of times. The fix requires braces, jaw surgery, special appliances and/or retainers.
2. Too many teeth: hyperdontia – Having extra teeth is called hyperdontia. People who have hyperdontia usually also have another condition, such as a cleft palate or Gardner’s Syndrome (which forms tumors that aren’t cancer). Dr. Akavan treats hyperdontia by removing all the extra teeth and correcting the bite with braces.
3. Crooked teeth – The fix will improve your overall dental health, relieving symptoms like jaw pain. Dr. Akavan uses braces (metal or trays), aligners, and retainers to straighten crooked teeth.
4. Gaps – You may not consider a gap between the front teeth a problem at all, but if you want to correct it Dr. Akavan will use braces to move teeth closer together and a special glued-in retainer helps to keep the spaces closed.
5. Clenching or grinding your teeth – Grinding your teeth is called bruxism. Stress is one of the causes. Misaligned teeth or sleep issues can also be culprits among adults (among kids, causes can include allergies). Bruxism can give you headaches, a sore jaw and cracked or loose teeth. If you grind your teeth at night, Dr. Akavan can fit you with a mouth guard. If it’s a daytime problem, meditation, exercise or other ways to curb stress helps.