To ensure you get the best invisalign treatment, it is extremely important to take all the necessary steps in order to keep your teeth clean and make your orthodontic treatment effective. Here are some of Dr. Akavan’s tips from Akavan Orthontics tips on how to maximize your Invisalign treatment.
1. Wear your Invisalign for 22 hours a day. Dr. Akavan recommends that Invisalign is worn 22 hours each day in order for it to be effective and successfully shift your teeth. This means that your Invisalign can be taken out to eat, brush your teeth, and floss however they should be put back in your mouth as soon as possible afterwards. On another note, Invisalign should be worn when you sleep as your teeth can shift quite a lot if not worn and cause setbacks to your orthodontic treatment.
2. If Dr. Akavan recommends rubber bands, wear them! When it comes to shifting your teeth, rubber bands are a crucial part of the process. If Dr. Akavan recommends that you wear rubber bands with your Invisalign, wear them to not only speed up the process but also allow for a healthier and happier smile.
3. Use Chewies. Just like metal braces, Invisalign is a little uncomfortable and painful from time to time, specifically when putting in a new set every two weeks. Using chewies allows for any air gaps to be closed and for the aligner to fit more tightly and therefore more comfortably. This allows for your aligner to feel more like your teeth and less like something on them which is more comfortable in the long run. Ask Dr. Akavan near Northridge, CA to find out what chewies they carry.
4. Always brush and clean your Invisalign. Just like traditional braces, Invisalign need to be constantly cleaned and cared for. Make sure that you brush your Invisalign every morning and night. This allows for the removal of any food which may be stuck and subsequently a tighter fit because no space is being taken up.
5. Always brush and clean your own teeth. Just as important as it is to clean your Invisalign, it is even more important to brush and floss your teeth. Doing so will allow for the removable of food which, just like it might be stuck in your aligner, could be taking up room and not allowing for the proper fit. It is also important to brush and floss your teeth to keep them clean and white for after your orthodontic treatment is complete. You don’t want to have to go through months of Invisalign just to have a less than perfect smile.
6. Always use your case. Whenever you take your Invisalign out of your mouth, make sure it ends up in a case provided by Dr. Akavan. Leaving them in a napkin or on a table leaves more room for them to be thrown out or misplaced. If this happens, you would need to go back a week in your sets or skip forward to the next week, both of which disrupt your treatment.
While having Invisalign, it is extremely important to follow all of Dr. Akavan’s to ensure you are getting the best Invisalign treatment so you walk away with a happy, healthy, and straight smile. If you have any questions, please call Dr. Akavan at Akavan Orthodontics at (818) 345-9601 or visit our orthodontics office near Northridge, CA.