1. Wear your retainers full time, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
2. Clear retainers must be removed while eating and placed in their case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.) Hawley retainers can stay in the mouth while eatingretainers and in fact we recommend to for kids to prevent loss.
3. Clean retainers thoroughly twice a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque and eliminates odors.
4. When retainers are not in your mouth they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
5. Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
6. Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken, call us immediately.
7. If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
8. Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
9. Retainer replacement is expensive; with proper care they will last for years!
10. Remove retainers when swimming.
11. Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.